CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You only live once

It all started a few days ago. Ryan said, "Me and the boys are thinking of getting bikes." He was not referring to the kind you pedal. Nope, we already have those. And his car. And my car. And "our" truck (haha). I shot the idea down.

Yesterday it was, "I think I'm going to get a motorcycle license." I asked "why" and restated that there was no way he was getting a "crotch rocket".

Tonight, he calls me from work spouting off all the financial benefits of having a bike compared to driving the car or truck. The gas would be cheaper. Insurance would be nearly the same and he would only insure it during the summer months. Etc. Etc. I said no. He then turned on the guilt trip and said that I wanted my camera and I got that (That was my Ah-hah! moment: THAT is why I got the camera obviously. His "generosity" was pre-meditated with the fact that he could use the big purchase against me for eternity!!!) I replied that he got his truck and that had been what he wanted. See, if he gets a bike, we are still keeping both cars and the truck. There are only 2 of us, that seems so silly. End of conversation.

Then, somewhere between that conversation and the end of story and then me calling his cousin and complaining about it and her telling me how dangerous they were and agreeing with me that it was a stupid idea...I had my second "Ah-hah!" moment of the day..... It's profound. ;)

You only live once.

Really. We're both 25 years old, we have good jobs, we live rent free in a really nice place, we have no kids. We're living life. I'm not the kind of person who lives dangerously by any means (that's funny), but I do want to "live it up" in some sense while we still can. And really, when I first told Ryan no, it was more my mom talking than me. I could really care less in all actuality...if he really wants it, then he should get it. Maybe I'm a sucker, maybe I'm just a really good wife (maybe?!), but why not? Why not have fun while we can and enjoy the things we really want? It's a somewhat selfish point of view, I'll admit it, but why not? We have plenty of years ahead of us of putting the needs of others' in front of us as we become parents someday. For now, we CAN do it, so maybe we SHOULD?

OK, so back to Ryan.

I called him back and still tried to play the "no" card. I told him they're dangerous. I told him I don't want an extra vehicle in the garage. When he had answers for both of those, I gave him (in my best "mom" voice) the "well....you might as well look into it a little more than and find out what it would really cost" dramatic sigh. He agreed.

He almost forgot to tell me he loved me at the end of that conversation. I paused. He said "I love you" and laughed the laugh of a guy who knew he almost pushed his luck, the laugh of a guy who knew he was darn lucky to be married to me.)

I replied, "Yeah...you better."

Darn him.... ;)

0 comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones