CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

More canoeing




Another gorgeous day! Another day of canoeing with Kari and Tyler...this time we needed sunscreen, NOT umbrellas. We brought a 3rd visitor along with us who rode in me and Ryan's canoe....the dog.


Now, this was Tytan's first canoeing expedition. He loves the water and camped on a sandbar with us last summer. That time around the "boat" was a pontoon--which he jumped out of more than once. Canoe. Pontoon. Canoe. Pontoon.


We knew that this could have been his first and last time canoeing with us (not only is he very LARGE at a stocky 88 lbs, but he also still a puppy and is not necessarily....well, calm).


It started out horribly, but didn't actually turn out THAT bad. As soon as we put the boats in the water, Tytan jumped out about 3 times a row. Our boat was floating down the river and the dog was being dragged behind it from his leash. Ryan, might I add, was NOT happy. I also might add that taking the dog with canoeing with not MY idea. All I could imagine was not being able to make it any farther down the river, being stuck there with the dog swimming, the husband angry, and Ryan eventually letting the dog swim away never to be found again.


It didn't really end up that way. The voice of reason, moi, suggested having Tytan sit up in the very front of the canoe with me so he would have a much smaller space and I could hold on to him. This had multiple benefits: it also meant that I wouldn't be able to paddle and couldn't get yelled at for not paddling correctly. I could hold onto the dog, put my feet up, and enjoy the ride. And I did. Ryan got to paddle the whole way, which does lead me to the question of why we had so much conflict our first two canoe endeavors when really, he didn't need me to paddle at all. I also know the answer to this question: as the sole paddler of the canoe, he couldn't fish. Darn. :)


All in all, it turned out just fine. The three of us all made it safely back to dry land, the canoe never tipped, and we now we are all sunburned and exhausted (Tytan's exhausted...not sunburned).


I still really want to try kayaking this summer. We'll probably leave the dog at home for that one.






1 comments:

alyssa said...

hahaha. "assy in san fran." you're funny.

i'm glad you'll read the blog! i dont have the internet, so it's been a trek trying to update it -- but so far i've been pretty good. :)

and yes. that's totally stephanie tanner's house!! remember the opening scene where the red corvette is parked in a turnaround and the whole fame is eating a picnic? i was in that park. :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones